And there is nothing, nothing to be done to soothe the poor boy (which is why I finally resorted to taking his picture- oh, what a cruel mama I am!). It certainly makes us rethink our priorities. How badly do we actually need to leave the house? Do I really need to go to that doctor's appointment? Couldn't we live without going to the grocery store this week?
The wierd part of the whole situation is that sometimes, for no discernable reason, the car is a happy, peaceful place.
Oh, if only I could figure out what makes the difference! (In a flashback to stats class yesterday, it occurred to me that a bit of Bayesian analysis might be useful here.)
So, I'm sure everyone will understand why we are a little nervous about the upcoming holidays. A 6.5 hour drive to Memphis, then 4.5 hours to Kentucky, and then 5.5 hours or so back to Atlanta... and that is just the next two weeks. Pray for us. Seriously. And Mom and Dad, please have the tranquilizers/drinks/padded room ready for us when we arrive home.
In all seriousness, we love our little man so much, and it is just heartbreaking to see him so upset and to not be able to do anything about it. It also makes us a little crazy. We are really hoping- for his sake and ours- that the drive to Memphis will be a smooth one, with minimal screaming. And we really would appreciate any advice, helpful hints, and/or prayers that you have to offer!
I love seeing your updates and the pictures! We certainly can sympathize with the car stuff. Grayson has always made us think hard about any trips! What's funny is all the advice that people will give you - "the air must be blowing on his face", "the car seat buckle must be too tight", and on and on - problem is Grayson just plain hated the car!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I know... we've tried everything! I'm torn between being the laid-back, on-the-go, takes her baby anywhere mom and just wanting to stay at home all the time b/c the car seems to be torture for everyone involved! We're hoping that Jack decides to like the car a little sooner than Grayson did, but at least we know we're in good company :)
ReplyDeleteI think car riding takes a bit of getting used to, kind of like sleeping without being held. I think he'll get there with a little time. It is hard to feel like you're torturing your baby, though, isn't it? I think it was usually the worst for us when the baby was tired. The thing is, it is hard to find a time to go anywhere for a while when the baby isn't either already tired or is going to start feeling tired soon...their windows are so small. I think it was a little easier for Nate b/c he had someone to look at in the back seat and didn't feel all alone. Some people swear by those mirrors that light up and make noise (remote controlled). Might be worth a try!
ReplyDeleteAll that said, my advice would be get out now while you can! For the most part, right now he should be able to go places and sleep in his Moby. A day will come when he will only sleep in his crib and then you really are more home bound for a while. Thankfully, usually by that point, they are a little cooler with car rides between naps!