How to document my annual touchstone? I won't even attempt to explain how much this program, these people mean to me. That will have to wait for a longer, more well-thought out and much more introspective blog post.
For now, suffice it to say that I, we, had a very good year- so much better, so much more smooth than I anticipated. And I am so very thankful to everyone who made it possible: mom, for going into the trenches with me and being super-grandmother; Jack, for rolling with the punches; the other counselors and staff, who welcomed, accommodated, and supported us more than I could have imagined; my fellow mommies, who made a potentially extremely isolating year so bearable (and fun!); a great counselor team and awesome city, who are the reason I'm there; and Rob, who is so outrageously supportive of my involvement.
We had an amazing city this year. From the first moments, the ladies of Houston City were kind, open, generous, and funny. There were no issues all week long, which was literally a first and could not have come at a better time.
This was a city that totally got "it," which was no doubt thanks in large part to the awesome counselors we were working with.
Our other Senior Counselors are rock stars, who gracefully stepped into the huge amount of responsibility that they were given this week as Sally and I ran in and out of the city. And they even tried to convince us that we didn't seem as old as we sometimes feel.
They inspired not only the girls, but also me. I love it! The principle of investment was exercised all over the place this year, and as always, it refreshes me.
Oh yeah, and I took my mom and baby to Girls State this year. Can I even begin to explain how awesome my mom is? She never hesitated to agree to live on a college campus and provide pretty much solo care for Jack 24/7 (or 24/10, actually). And she was so good at it. And, as usual, I forgot to get a picture of all of us, which makes me so mad at myself. We're staging a replacement shot next time I see you, Mom. (And I guess you'll just have to come back to VGS!)
What could have been an extremely difficult experience all-around was made sweet by the camaraderie of experiencing it along side my dear friends (well, that and the nice digs).
I have had the privilege of experiencing Girls State with Sally since my second year there. We've worked together ever since. Her friendship and our partnership at VGS is one of the great blessings of my life. So, we decided to have our first babies the same year :-) (Just kidding... it wasn't exactly something we plotted out, but we're both pretty pleased with how it worked out!)
Sally and I have roomed together for around 11 years, and now our little men and our mommas have too! How cool is that?
Could it get any cuter?! Well, yes, yes it could. It turns out that five sweet baby boys (yes, all boys) have been born to us VGS-ers in a six month time span this year. And four of us were there with babies and willing family members in tow.
We missed Nina and little JH (only three months old) all week, but thankfully they came up for a slumber party. All was right in Baby City. *Uniforms thanks to the mad-embroidery talents of momma Jessica and grandmomma Jane (not pictured).
Can you stand it?!
Great friends, great family, inspiration all-around. I, too, heart VGS.
No comments:
Post a Comment